Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Semester 6.1

I'm actually halfway through this semester already and they are requesting that we register for next semester.
My daytime job assignment has informed me that they have no intention of hiring me but they do have enough for me to do until October. So, here's hoping I can land something before then.
My wife just finished up her play for our local area through the ward, Kenneth Cope's "Women at the Well." The show depicts through music and testimony the women of the New Testimant as they interact or meet our Savior, Jesus Christ and His teachings to them. We had a great reaction, turnout, and testimony. It has really helped me to build my own testimony of our Savior and I have a better understanding of His character and the part he also plays in our lives.
I had to grow my hair and beard long for the show and after 5 months I'm ready to take it all off! Our film community is also doing a new depiction of the New Testiment. I was hoping to be able to participate in that but no such luck. Wrong bone structure and skin tone, I guess.

I am enjoying our Copywriting class the most this semester. I have loved to write since I was 12. I knew I would write a lot in my life so I started to learn to type on my own before it was taught in school... as best as I could. I've gotten some great comments from the instructor and this has really given me a boost of hope. My dad encouraged me to keep writing but I could never see how I could use it to make money without sacrifcing something important in my life (it takes time to create a complete and perfect novel!). This class, and my instructor, have shown me that Copywriters actually make more money that just Graphic Designers, and my ability to form words has always been a stronger skill than my art work. At a lecture last Thursday the guest speaker, who was an Art Director from a local business, proclaimed that a Graphic Designer who can write copy IS an Art Director. That gave me a lot of hope.
Here's an example of how the class has been:
On our last assignment we had to create copy for a clothes sales magazine that only provided photos. I did some research and talked to my wife who makes costumes before I sat down.
When I showed the assignments to the students for a critique, one didn't even do the assignment (his sister got married) and the other one said I had too many words on the page. This student either came into the class late or was just visiting. When the instructor saw it she freaked out, saying it was gorgeous and now it actually looked like a real magazine ad. She then rushed the entire class over to view my piece as an example and had me explain what process I followed to do the assignment. She then encouraged everyone to follow the steps I used for their assignments.
When I told me wife this story she smiled and said, "Teacher's pet..." With the looks I've gotten from the other students I tend to agree. But given the fact that my work has been shot down for the entire previous year it felt really good!

As for Print Production class, the instructor understands it's a snoozer of a class for the students so she is working to make it as interesting as possible, including using "Bingo" on the first lecture, which I appreciate.
We have a lot of print assignments so far, like 4 color seperations with the composite mounted; duotone with the same requirements, etc. Even though it's covering everything else I've learned from my all my other graphics classes it's still good info in relation to the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment