Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Semester 14B

So, as the scriptures say, 'I noised it abroad' that we were moving. I was impressed to do so, but we were also very excited. I went to Facebook and contacted all of my FB world, telling them. I was originally just announcing it as an FYI to everyone so they knew we couldn't be reached, but it turned out to be something more.

Within 15 minutes of my Facebook post, one of my friends got back to me, asking if I had a job lined up or if I was looking for one. I told him I was looking and no, I didn't have one lined up. He told me about his company and said they were hiring.
Remember, that I've been hunting for an internship for the past 3 years. I had just finished up my online portfolio class this last semester. I had just finished my physical portfolio class this last while. While we were apartment hunting I was able to go to 2 different portfolio conventions in SLC. Both good and bad came from those experiences. But either way, I had some portfolio/interview experience under my belt.
I asked my friend if there was enough stuff at his job to qualify for an internship. He assured me there way. So I asked him what to do. 

Another 15 minutes later I had an interview lined up for the next week. Like my previous, long-distance interview attempt, it was an all day thing. It was stressful enough, and I fought to make everything work. Donna, our son, and myself stayed over the night before (again) at her folk's house so that helped. Regardless, I tried to give myself plenty of time because I always get lost at new places. Found it, had the interview, and my friend and I went out to eat afterwards.
It was a great experience, but I had learned that just because I thought it was a great interview it doesn't mean that a good time was held by all. As we learned about in my Organizational Psychology class, both me and the interviewing company had to make a 'good fit' - we both had to be a match for each other, not just in skills and experience, but also in personality. After all, who wants to work with someone they are going to butt heads with all the time. No one wants to hire a jerk, a yes-man, or a whiny patsy (if that's not what they like or want). Personalities have to match.

Okay, I'm babbling just to stretch out my own drama, needlessly. My friend told me later that his boss, the guy who interviewed me, said he was going to hire me the same day that he interviewed me. But my friend said he refused to tell me that so that I would be surprised.
We all were.

This company offered all benefits, including salary and benefits. We were esthetic. As it turned out, I ended up moving into our new apartment a full week and a half earlier than our actual move date so that I could go to my new job. That was a hard week; no family, just work and school for company. The first few days I didn't have any hot water.  I had to boil enough water for an hour and a half so that could have 3 inches of water to bathe in.

As for my internship, here is what I've been able to apply so far:
Page Layout, Copywriting/Editting, Photoshop/Illustrator, Animation, Typographical Heirarchy, and Photography. I haven't gotten it all figured out yet, but I'm getting there.

And our ward is simply fantastic. That's the story of our move.

No comments:

Post a Comment